Click Image To View Full Size
This ceremonial spade was used to cut the first sod at Killoch Colliery in Ayrshire by Mrs William Smith on December 22nd 1952. Production commenced at the colliery in 1960. In 1965 it became the first Scottish pit to produce one million tons of coal in a year. The colliery closed in 1987.
The spade was recently donated to the museum by Mr Alan Jack who was manager at Killoch in 1968 for 6 years before moving to Lugar colliery.
© 2011 National Mining Museum ScotlandNational Mining Museum Scotland, Lady Victoria Colliery, Newtongrange, Midlothian, EH22 4QNT. 0131 663 7519, F. 0131 654 1618, email@example.com
National Mining Museum Scotland Trust is registered in Scotland.Registered Office: National Mining Museum Scotland Trust, Lady Victoria Colliery, Newtongrange, EH22 4QN.Registered No. SCO88361.