National Mining Museum Scotland is a 5 star visitor attraction with plenty of activities for the whole family to enjoy!
Our ex-miner led guided tours are particularly recommended for our family visitors and while you explore the Lady Victoria Colliery, our two floors of permanent exhibitions, and interactive Green Zone, families can also enjoy:
- Cat Spotter Trail – collect your free activity when you arrive and try and find all of the Colliery Cats hidden around the Museum! Remember to collect your prize from Reception when you finish
- Victorian Wash Day – located in the Race Apart exhibition – dress up as a Victorian and see what life was like doing the laundry before washing machines and tumble dryers!
- Object Spotter Sheet – collect your object spotter sheet when you arrive and try to find all of the objects in the display cases in both exhibition floors
- Maths for Miners – this outdoor trail takes you around the outside of the colliery as you solve the maths puzzles along the way
- Outdoor Playpark and Picnic Area
- Family Events Programme – we run activities for all ages throughout the school holidays
- Green Zone – an interactive exhibition and play zone all about engineering, energy and climate change with plenty of activities for the whole family to get involved in!
Please see our What’s On page, below, for more information on our family events taking place throughout the year.